24 Aug 2015
It’s hard to have a bad day at the Telluride Farmer’s Market, which takes every Friday from 10:30am-4pm on South Oak Street in downtown Telluride. Everyone is happy - it’s a great place to catch up with friends, wonderful for people/animal watching if you’re looking for some entertainment, a place where you can buy some fantastic local produce, baked goods and hot food. Here are my top seven favorite Telluride Farmer’s Market vendors.
- San Juan Alpaca: Kim Perutz is one of the finest knitters in town. She sources her alpaca furs from an alpaca farm located not 20 miles outside of town. SJA has a wide selection of hand-knit hats, sweaters, gloves, scarves and pullovers, and some wonderfully comfortable blankets (my personal favorite). These make perfect gifts. If you’re lucky you can catch her hiking the local trails with needles in hand!
- Sweet Pea Kettle Corn: I used to not be a huge fan of popcorn. Occasionally I would snack on it at movies, but I don’t like how often it gets stuck in your teeth. Of course I’ve changed my mind. Sweet Pea is simply the best. Their freshly popped kettle corn is irresistible - once you’ve popped you can’t stop!
- Tom Cat’s Lemonade & Tea’s: Tom Cat’s Lemonade provides the perfect cure for the warm summer sunshine. Their lemonade is an unmatched mix of sweet and tart, and the unsweetened iced tea is always refreshing. My only complaint is that I drink them too fast.
- James Ranch Farm: I hope you’re planning on a cookout while in town, because you’ll never find better grillables. Fresh meat, cheese, milk – James Ranch farm has it all. All the beef is 100% grass-fed (aka delicious), so be weary if you’re on the grill – the meat cooks a little faster than your average store-bought burger. They also sell the most delicious farm fresh eggs anyone has ever tasted, and raw milk if you’re into that. It’s worth a day trip to their ranch in Durango for a tour of the farm and a pleasant afternoon of cheese tasting.
- Indian Ridge Farm and Bakery: The Indian Ridge vendor comes from a small sustainable farm here in Southwest Colorado. They focus on sustainability through nutritious and organically grown food, though they are notorious for their highly addictive granola. Packaged by hand using ingredients grown right on the farm, this granola is seriously amazing. There’s no way to put it into words – once you’ve tried it you’ll know what the hype is all about. Indian Ridge Bakery also ships nationwide to fix your craving from afar.
- Mountain Stir Fry: Mountain Stir Fry serves up delicious vegetarian options cooked right in front of you! Hummus Wraps, Veggie Stir-Fry, and Burritos all with hearty portions. If you’re looking for an easy and healthy lunch, Mountain Stir Fry is a TFM classic. Unfortunately Mountain Stir Fry is exclusively available at the Telluride Farmer’s Market, so grab it while you can.
- Second Chance Humane Society: This farmer’s market stand is sure to provide your daily dose of love and affection. Second Chance Humane Society is an animal rescue adoption program, and every Friday they bring a few dogs and cats for people to cuddle with and hopefully adopt.