05/25/2018 - 10:00am to 05/28/2018 - 10:00pm
There's always something fun and fabulous happening in lovely Telluride, Colorado, and those who plan their visit during May should expect to enjoy something extra special because that's when the immensely popular Telluride Mountainfilm Festival is scheduled. The timing for this awesome festival couldn't be better because Telluride begins to wake up from its long winter in May. You'll see the wild flowers beginning to bloom and animals emerging from their winter hiding places, and you'll have the opportunity to hike on many beautiful mountain trails. May is also a wonderful month for an amazing fishing trip and many other fun outdoor activities.
About the Telluride Mountainfilm Festival
This incredible film festival travels all over the world throughout the entire year, but it's been coming to Telluride over the Memorial Day weekend since 1979. This year's event will begin on Friday, May 25, and it will run straight through Monday, May 28. Unlike most film festivals that seek only to entertain, Mountainfilm also strives to encourage individuals to create a better, more-livable world.
What to Expect
Around 100 documentary films will be featured, and each film addresses a variety of issues that affect the entire population. Topics include the environment, culture, nature, politics and social justice, and films in past years have been described as inspiring, educational and motivational. Though these films are definitely the star of the show, this festival offers much more. Those attending will also enjoy a weekend that is filled with musical events, a gallery walk, free community events, interactive talks, guest presentations, parties, book signings and an abundance of outdoor programming.
Films and presentations will begin on Friday evening and run through Monday afternoon, but the full festival schedule won't be available until May. These are a few of the highlights that have already been confirmed. Please note that the exact times and dates of these events are not yet available.
- The New Normal Symposium: This event will kick off the festival on Friday, and several expert speakers will discuss all aspects of climate change. The latest scientific developments will be explored, and the audience will be offered step-by-step instructions for positive change.
- Gallery Walk: Art enthusiasts will adore this popular event that is held at multiple galleries and other locations throughout downtown Telluride. You'll see a wonderful selection of art, and many of the artists will be available to speak about their exhibits.
- Town Talks: These programs pop up all over town at various times during the festival, and you'll have the opportunity to talk to many of the filmmakers and special guest speakers in a small group setting. Topics will vary, and only small groups are allowed to participate in each talk.
- Ice Cream Social: Usually held on Saturday afternoon, this is a popular block party that offers much more than scoops of delicious ice cream. You'll also enjoy live music, a farmers market and access to many local and national nonprofits.
- The Reading Frenzy: This event gives you a chance to have your book signed by your favorite author. As many as two dozen local and national writers are typically in attendance.
- Base Camp Outdoor Theater: During the festival, free films are usually played nightly in this lovely outdoor theater that is located in the Telluride Town Park. Bring your blanket or low-backed chairs, and don't forget to dress warm because the temperatures drop at night.
- Closing Picnic and Awards Ceremony: This event closes out the festival, and it's generally held at the Telluride Town Park. Those in attendance will enjoy a picnic lunch, vote for their favorite film and learn which films were awarded the top honors.
Get Your Festival Tickets Today
Tickets and passes are available now, and prices begin at $25 for adults and $10 for children aged 12 and under. For the most discerning festival goers, the coveted Patron Pass is also available for $5,000, and this pass is good for admission to all programs and events, priority admittance to all theaters and entry to some very special invitation-only events. It also includes a $4,600 tax-deductible donation, which comes in handy at tax time. In between those choices, you'll find several other types of tickets and passes that are available at a wide range of prices.
It's Time to Reserve Your Vacation Residence
Here at Telluride Rentals, we've already had many of our luxury vacation rentals reserved by those who plan to attend the Telluride Mountainfilm Festival, and the rest are filling up fast. Contact us today to reserve your preferred residence before it's too late, and we'll be happy to make arrangements to have you transported directly to your vacation residence from the airport.