There’s always something fun and fabulous happening in lovely Telluride, Colorado, and those who plan their visit during May should expect to enjoy something extra special because that’s when the immensely popular Telluride Mountainfilm Festival is scheduled. The timing for this awesome festival couldn’t be better because Telluride begins to wake up from its long winter in May. You’ll see the wild flowers beginning to bloom and animals emerging from their winter hiding places, and you’ll have the opportunity to hike on many beautiful mountain trails. May is also a wonderful month for an amazing fishing trip and many other fun outdoor activities.
About the Telluride Mountainfilm Festival
Those who have a passion for both film and a wide variety of extremely worthy causes should plan to visit stunning Telluride, Colorado, for the 40th annual Telluride Mountainfilm Festival that has been scheduled for May 25-28. This incredible documentary film festival not only entertains but also encourages individuals to create a better tomorrow as it travels all over the world, and it’s been making its home in Telluride over the Memorial Day weekend since all the way back in 1979. Those of all ages are welcome to attend, and several incredible activities and events may be enjoyed in addition to the main film festival.
Each year, some 100 documentary films are featured that address important issues that affect all of humanity and the world that we live in. Topics include the environment, culture, nature, politics, climbing and social justice, and each has been carefully selected for its inspirational, educational and motivational attributes. As an added bonus, those in attendance may also screen selected rare films and a few excellent short films. The full schedule of films is always released in early May.
Beyond the Films
While there are plenty of films to be watched, there’s much more to enjoy during this 4-day festival. Activities and events that run alongside the film festival include special programs for children, an ice cream social, a gallery walk, booze and banters talks, coffee talks, free movies under the stars, live music, book signings, interactive talks, parties and special guest lectures. As many as 100 special guests are invited to attend each year, and these include filmmakers and their subjects, artists and other visionaries.
Moving Mountains Symposium
Each year, a full-day symposium is held with qualified guest presenters, and this year’s theme is, “Migration.” World-renowned scientists, authors and journalists will discuss the current migration of both people and animals due to factors that include climate change and conflict. A full discussion and question-and-answer period follows the presentation so that everyone can be assured of their questions being answered as fully as possible.
Films and presentations will begin on Friday evening and run through Monday afternoon, but the full festival schedule won’t be available until May. These are a few of the highlights that have already been confirmed. Please note that the exact times and dates of these events are not yet available.
- The New Normal Symposium: This event will kick off the festival on Friday, and several expert speakers will discuss all aspects of climate change. The latest scientific developments will be explored, and the audience will be offered step-by-step instructions for positive change.
- Gallery Walk: Art enthusiasts will adore this popular event that is held at multiple galleries and other locations throughout downtown Telluride. You’ll see a wonderful selection of art, and many of the artists will be available to speak about their exhibits.
- Town Talks: These programs pop up all over town at various times during the festival, and you’ll have the opportunity to talk to many of the filmmakers and special guest speakers in a small group setting. Topics will vary, and only small groups are allowed to participate in each talk.
- Ice Cream Social: Usually held on Saturday afternoon, this is a popular block party that offers much more than scoops of delicious ice cream. You’ll also enjoy live music, a farmers market and access to many local and national nonprofits.
- The Reading Frenzy: This event gives you a chance to have your book signed by your favorite author. As many as two dozen local and national writers are typically in attendance.
- Base Camp Outdoor Theater: During the festival, free films are usually played nightly in this lovely outdoor theater that is located in the Telluride Town Park. Bring your blanket or low-backed chairs, and don’t forget to dress warm because the temperatures drop at night.
- Closing Picnic and Awards Ceremony: This event closes out the festival, and it’s generally held at the Telluride Town Park. Those in attendance will enjoy a picnic lunch, vote for their favorite film and learn which films were awarded the top honors.
Passes and Tickets
While many of the passes and tickets are already sold out for this year’s event, there are still a few types of passes available for purchase. These are selling fast, so don’t hesitate to call 970- 728-4123 ext 29 right away to secure your passes for this year’s Telluride Mountainfilm Festival.It’s Time to Reserve Your Vacation Residence
Here at Telluride Rentals, we’ve already had many of our luxury vacation rentals reserved by those who plan to attend the Telluride Mountainfilm Festival, and the rest are filling up fast. Contact us today to reserve your preferred residence before it’s too late, and we’ll be happy to make arrangements to have you transported directly to your vacation residence from the airport.